Mobile Menu
Northern Kentucky Insurance by Rollins Insurance | Auto, Home, Life, and Health


Website address change

Friday, May 6th, 2016

Recently, we decided to replace with our new site:
Our web designer mentioned that our domain name should contain the word insurance.
Going forward, we plan to implement improved SEO to allow clients & prospects to find us.
Please share the new website domain with friends, co-workers & family members.
Eventually, we plan to use the same suffix for our email addresses.

Independent agent versus Exclusive captive agent???

Thursday, April 21st, 2016

Logically, it makes more sense to work with a local, independent insurance agent. The independent insurance agent has access to multiple A-rated carriers for all your insurance needs. The relationship is different when you work with an captive agent (i.e. State Farm agent, Farm Bureau agent, Shelter agent, Nationwide agent, Allstate agent, etc…).
Captive agents represent ONLY one company. They do NOT have access to multiple markets for auto, home, motorcycle, boat, rental dwellings, umbrellas, etc…

If you’re not happy with the rates on your insurance, you can always call an independent agent (broker) to have them shop your account.
Brokers act as your local agent (servicing your policy changes, billing & assisting w/ claims).
If you’re dealing with a captive agent, they only have one company to quote…Many years ago, clients were loyal to a brand. The presence of the Internet has allowed these clients to access rates from several agencies locally.

There’s nothing wrong with a captive agent or agency, but the future of auto/home/life insurance will be geared towards “more options” for the consumer…

Dealing with a local insurance broker unlocks your potential to secure the best protection, purchase the most options & save the maximum amount on premiums.

If you’re not working with a local, independent insurance agent please contact our agency at 859-781-7283 or email us at

What to do after an automobile accident (most cases)…

Friday, January 22nd, 2016

You’ve been involved in an automobile accident…what should you do?

1. Call 911 (or the non-emergency police line) to report the incident.  If they won’t respond due to weather, follow up when it’s safe & have a report completed.

2. Make sure it’s safe before you step outside your vehicle (assuming you’re not hurt or weren’t ejected).

3. Take photos of all vehicles involved.  Take photos of the drivers license & insurance card for each driver (if they allow).  Exchange insurance information only.

4. Flag down any potential witness & verify the facts.  Get their name/contact number if possible.

5. Call your auto insurance agency/company to report the loss & seek advice.  Most carriers offer 24/7 claims assistance & the numbers are normally located on your auto ID card.

6. Make sure the police add your version of the accident to the report.  The insurance company (and possibly the court system) could use this statement to determine liability/coverage.

7. Do not admit fault/guilt.  Simply give your statement & allow the insurance companies to determine liability.

8.  If you or your passengers feel injured, immediately seek medical attention.  Give the medical provider(s) your auto insurance claim number & carrier name for billing.

9.  Make sure you call your insurance agency/company to discuss the next steps & review your coverage/deductibles.


Driving distractions

Monday, October 19th, 2015

Common Sense 101:  Don’t drive when you’re distracted…Plan to avoid texting & driving.

It seems that driving “drunk” or intoxicated is the only obvious event that grabs a headline…

Driving while texting is technically illegal, but very few drivers see it that way…they see it as a minor infraction & a nuisance when enforced.

Most drivers seldom think about this common distraction causing them to cross the double yellow line & changing lives forever…

Technology continues to evolve & devices usually get smaller & smaller.  Fortunately, there are several options for “hands-free” & Bluetooth (R) communication.

Many smart phones now have “talk to text” when allows drivers to text/email hands-free.

Younger drivers grew up with a larger respect for technology avoidance in their vehicles…Many drivers had “rules” in place before they got behind the wheel.

Sadly, the enforcement of texting laws probably won’t be enforced until someone famous dies while texting & driving…It’s the same reason many intersections don’t get stop lights until a serious incident makes the news…

Technology is already available to detect if cell phones are being used to text in a moving vehicle…Until all States start a serious campaign (with serious consequences), I fear too many lives will be lost and/or forever altered.  Too many innocent children die from a distraction that could’ve been avoided.


Basic Kentucky Auto Insurance Explanations

Wednesday, January 25th, 2012

Kentucky Automobile Insurance Requirements for Drivers

Since the residents of Kentucky do reserve the right to decline to follow the no-fault system, and since injury and medical expenses beyond a certain point waive the at-fault driver’s right not to be sued, liability insurance is also a requirement for all registered vehicles.

Drivers must submit proof of insurance before they can register their vehicle. Kentucky mandates all drivers in a household to be covered by liability insurance and have proof of insurance in the vehicle with them at all times.

Kentucky State law requires minimum Bodily Injury Liability limits of $25,000 per injured person up to a total of $50,000 for the combined medical expenses of all of the occupants of the vehicle, and Property Damage Liability coverage with a minimum limit of $10,000 to cover the costs of repair to damaged property, including the other driver’s vehicle. This basic coverage is often referred to as 25/50/10 coverage or “State Minimum Coverage”.

Kentucky Insurance Coverage Requirements

Bodily Injury Liability: $25,000/$50,000 Limit

Property Damage Liability: $10,000 Limit

Personal Injury Protection: $10,000 Limit

Kentucky Automobile Insurance

The state of Kentucky follows a “Choice No-Fault” system meaning drivers may reject the No-Fault system options and retain the right to sue (Tort system) for any auto-related injury.

“No-Fault” Automobile Insurance

A driver that chooses to abide by the no-fault principle will be covered by their own insurance company in the event of an accident and forfeit their right to sue the other driver for their medical expenses unless their expenses exceed a certain amount.  Under the Kentucky no-fault insurance system, you are required to purchase personal injury protection (PIP) coverage that helps pay the cost of injuries regardless of who was at fault in the accident.

Tort System Insurance

If a driver chooses to follow the traditional tort system rather than go with a no-fault policy they retain the right to sue the other driver for the damages.

Anyone who registers, operates, maintains, or uses a motor vehicle in Kentucky is deemed to have accepted limitations on their rights to sue and be sued (tort rights). This means injured people cannot recover medical expenses, wage loss, other expenses, or pain and suffering from the at-fault party unless their injuries exceed certain thresholds. The thresholds are $1,000 in medical expenses, a broken bone, permanent disfigurement, permanent injury, or death.

If all members of a household reject the limitations on their rights to sue and be sued, guest Personal Injury Protection (Guest PIP) coverage must be included on their insurance policy to provide basic PIP benefits to guest passengers and pedestrians. Liability premiums may be higher due to no-fault rejection, since others will have the same right to sue the rejecter for injuries that do not reach the thresholds.

If a no-fault rejection form is on file, that individual is not entitled to receive basic PIP benefits. Individuals who have rejected can “buy-back” the basic PIP coverage.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP) Coverage

Kentucky requires basic PIP coverage on all motor vehicles except motorcycles. Basic PIP is to be paid by the insurer of the vehicle in which the injured person is riding at the time of an accident, or the vehicle that strikes a pedestrian, regardless of who was at fault in the accident. Basic PIP provides up to $10,000 per person per accident for medical expenses, lost wages, and similar “out of pocket” costs due to an injury. Higher benefits and deductibles are optional. Individuals with excellent health insurance benefits may elect to carry only a minimum PIP policy.

Kentucky “Buy Back” PIP

When buying the basic PIP coverage in Kentucky you forfeit your right to sue the other driver in an accident for the cost of injuries, unless the cost exceeds a certain level set by the state. Kentucky insurance companies will allow you to buy back that right (even though you carry PIP) for an increase in your premium. This is what “buy back” PIP refers to, paying an increase in your insurance rates for carrying PIP so that you can still retain your right to sue another driver instead of giving up that right as you would under a normal PIP insurance plan.

Kentucky Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

You can get Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist coverage (UM/UIM) to cover bodily injury caused by an uninsured and/or underinsured driver. This protects a driver in case they are involved in an accident and the other party is not adequately covered by an auto insurance policy. Kentucky does not require drivers to purchase this coverage, but you should consider purchasing this valuable coverage.

Not every state in the US requires their drivers to possess liability insurance; therefore, it is highly recommended that motorists carry uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance. All too often, a driver will be involved in a hit and run, or be hit by a driver who does not possess insurance or whose insurance is not sufficient to cover the costs incurred by the accident.

If a driver has not elected to follow the no fault system this can leave them holding a bill for hundreds of thousands of dollars and no recourse to follow other than trying to personally sue the driver. In some cases, the identity of the driver may or may not be known and their assets may or may not be sufficient for the insured to be reimbursed in this lifetime. Uninsured/underinsured motorist insurance effectively provides additional coverage in these instances.

Comprehensive Coverage

Comprehensive coverage (also referred to as Other Than Collision) provides coverage, often subject to a deductible, for an insured vehicle that is damaged by incidents that are not the result of what is considered a collision. For example, fire, theft (or attempted theft), vandalism, weather, or impacts with animals are types of comprehensive losses.

Collision Coverage

Collision coverage provides coverage for an insured vehicle that is involved in an accident or collision, often subject to a deductible. This coverage is designed to provide payments to repair the damaged vehicle, or payment of the cash value of the vehicle if it is not repairable.

While neither are a requirement, it is recommended that all drivers in KY carry comprehensive/collision coverage on their vehicle. In the event that the insured is responsible for an accident, they will be solely responsible for any necessary repair to both vehicles.

Learn more at the Kentucky Department of Insurance ( )

Rollins Insurance

7000 Houston Road
Bldg. 100, Suite 6
Florence, KY 41042